Tuesday 16 September 2008

Bowler Hat Girl

I have a confession. I just bought my second bowler hat just a day after I bought my first one. Technically it's because the first one had a flatter shape [not to mention much cheaper too] and the other one was rounder [the price K.Oed me too and wasn't sure how much I would enjoy the bowler]. The first one costed me $55AUD and the second $135AUD due to its quality and workmanship.

So. What is a Bowler Hat?

The bowler hat was devised in 1849 by the London hatmakers Thomas and William Bowler to fulfil an order placed by the firm of hatters Lock & Co. of St. James, a company established in 1676 which is still in business. Lock & Co. had been commissioned by a customer to design a close-fitting, low-crowned hat to protect his gamekeeper's heads from low-hanging branches while on horseback. The keepers had previously worn top hats which were easily knocked off and damaged. It was also hoped that the new style of hat would protect the keepers if they were attacked by poachers. Lock & Co. then commissioned the Bowler brothers to solve the problem. While most accounts state that the customer was William Coke, a nephew of the 1st Earl of Leicester, recent research has cast some doubt on this, and it is now believed that it was instead Edward Coke, the younger brother of the 2nd Earl of Leicester. When Coke arrived in London on 17 December 1849 to collect his hat he reportedly placed it on the floor and stamped hard on it twice to test its strength; the hat withstood this test and Coke paid 12 shillings for it. In accordance with Locks & Company's usual practice, the hat was called the "Coke" hat after the customer who had ordered it, and this is most likely why the hat became became known as the "Billy Coke" or "Billycock" hat in Norfolk.
Peaking in popularity towards the end of the 19th century
the bowler hat offered a middle ground between the formality of the top hat, which was associated with the upper classes, and the casual soft flat caps worn by the working classes
. - Taken from Wikipedia


Above: Scala Bowler Hat

Below: Akubra Bowler Hat

The difference in shape is rather eminent.


No, I am not thick. I know it's stupid to buy 2 of the same thing but I buy things in pairs. I'm so afraid of losing the things I love and the only way I find peace of mind is to buy a spare.


Stare all you want. This ain't stopping me from wearing it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'd love it with a flower somewhere :P