Wednesday 9 January 2008

Golden Compass - A Children's Movie?

“ I screamed in horror as I watched the polar bears fighting and one had his jaw punched off. Literally, the jaw flew in the air and the bear was dead.”

Violence is a theme that is now considered normal in our society. We see it everyday. We just ignore it, pretending that it will one day just go away. I met up with my old classmate to watch the Golden Compass at 7 pm, thinking it was just a kid’s show. Not really.

From a child’s point of view, I could see how it would entice the child to believe in fantasies and supernatural powers. As a maturing teenager, I see more than just make-belief. Elements of our world today have been cleverly manipulated into this movie. Power of the magisterial court and their effect on the society is a parody of our world today. Corruption and Greed occurs within the political body. Whether we like it or not, it’s the truth. Not one of the human government system can we say it’s perfect cause we’re not perfect, so how can our ruling systems be perfect?

No comments: