Monday 3 December 2007

Sushi In The Making

Japanese Food - Healthy, Appetising, Raw, Delicious.

What more can you ask for? I have always liked Japanese food and especially Sashimi. The only unfortunate thing is that fresh and most importantly clean, raw tuna or salmon costs a fortune to buy. We can just leave it to the professional restaurants to serve them.


I was intrigued about sushi-making and never had the chance to learn. I knew something about wrapping and rolling it using a tatami-like instrument. I was over-joyed when one of the Witness, Jayd, a Zimbabwian girl, invited me over to learn sushi-making. Megumi, one of the other Witness came over to teach us the art of sushi-making.

We had the normal ingredients such as Japanese rice, Sushi Vinegar, Cucumber, Teriyaki Chicken, Tuna, Salmon (Both Tuna and Salmon are canned), Avacado, Seaweed, and Soy Sauce. The process of cooking the Teriyaki Chicken, the cutting of the Avacado was rather boring and me being a very impatient girl, had to wait..I started fiddling...

At last the rice was cooked (Jayd did not have a rice cooker and therefore used a pot to cook it) but I think too much water was added and the rice consistency was just a bit too wet.
The next stage was to cool it. On the Seaweed package, the recommended fanning it. Little did I know they took it seriously...




Fanning of the rice


Hooray! The wait was over. The rice was cooled and the vinegar mixed. The sour hint of the vinegar made my mouth water and that was just the rice. Since there was rice, I did not hesitate to ask Megumi to teach me how to make Onagiri. Onagiri was those rice balls or more commonly triangles where in the middle it had fillings like tuna, salmon or anything else that's savoury. It was rather hard with my small hands...I had trouble fitting the large amount of rice in my hand. How embarassing..

Sushi was fun to make, though I must say it involved some skill in the application of the rice and the rolling of the actual sushi. All of us went well and Megumi was surprised! All of us were proud as in the beginning it looked hard! (All those co-ordination skills made me dizzy!) Overall, it was fun and it was nice to be social again. I'm going to let some photos speak for themselves. As they say: "A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words"















Left To Right: Group Photo & Megumi and Mum


Teriyaki Chicken (background) and Avacado


Tuna and Salmon (the very mushed up one is the salmon)




Eeek! Oh wait..It's only Cucumbers! I hate its relative..Le Zucchini

Le Femme Fatale making sushi..






















Me in the making of Sushi (Do I have a mustache? Eeekk!!-->)

Finished results!

No comments: