Saturday 8 December 2007

Andy Warhol Exhibition Brisbane

GoMA, Brisbane: Focus in the Middle

Finally, the day of viewing the famous Andy Warhola's artwork is here. An art gallery which normally is free to outsiders charged us - probably they think that it's a wise idea to invest in this exhibition as many will come from all over Australia to see it. From the internet I was expecting to pay the concession ticket price of $16 AUD as a student. (Yes- despite the fact that I have already graduated high-school, doesn't mean I can't take full advantage of my student card that expires on the 31 of December 2007.) This is until I decided to read the full price list whilst standing stiff bored in the queue. The prices are as following:
  • Adult - $20
  • Concession - $16

  • Children ( Aged 13 -17 years ) - $10

  • Children ( Aged 12 years and under) - Free
Left to Right: Entry Ticket, Warhol's Campbell Soup Poster and Marilyn Monroe


Wait...17 years old..$10? And still under the category of Children. I feel so naive to the world again. It reassured me that I'm still a baby in this world of nightmares. My side-effect from Graduation in November certainly haven't worn off yet. I feel so much older but in reality - A big Baby..

The GoMa (Gallery of Modern Art) had Warhol's art of a Cow Wallpaper all over..It looked kinda nice at first but then the overwelming continuous bright pink and yellow gave me a headache to look at. Seriously. A Cow? Reminds me of the Indian culture that is so prominent back in Malaysia - Holy Cow.
Cow WallPaper
His artworks are mostly interesting. I cannot describe how wonderful some are. You have to be there to witness it. Unfortunately for such an exhibition, no photography is allowed. Some of these pics I've posted are from the postcards I managed to purchase from the shop. I also managed to buy a few pins too. And they cost alot! $3 AUD for such small ones. But who am I to complain? It's a once in a life time experience. However this wasn't the end of my souvenir list.


Before we left, Tuuliki, my Estonian friend that came along with me decided to go to this corner for the view where we found this little booth where it took photos and converts it into the different colours and got it sent to our emails. I was like WOW! This was photo booth may have been created due to Warhol's famous quote, "In the Future Everybody Will Be World Famous For Fifteen Minutes."

Left Picture: Tuuliki from Estonia, after eating her cheesecake and thickshake.

Me and Tuuli in Photobooth


Just me in Pop Art


Later, we decided to kill time in Brisbane since we were already there. It has been such a long time since I actually went down to Brisbane. As Christmas is approaching, they had a huge Christmas Tree in the city. It got me into the happy mood and for some reason I missed Christmas as I wasn't allowed to celebrate it anymore (don't ask me why - a long story unless you enjoy it.)












Christmas Tree in Brisbane City

We also came pass these two ladies in angel costumes on stilts. Pretty hilarious really. I mean who doesn't have the urge once in a while to push them over. Ok maybe it's just me.









Left and Right:
Two Angels Cheering People Up Along The Way.







We stopped over at a cafe to rest as Tuuli had this urge for muffins. And may I tell you that when she wants something nothing will stop her. However, when we were looking at the delicious, scrumptious, mouth-watering cakes and muffins, she changed her mind to eat the most fattening thing on display - Cheesecake.

We had a good time talking about life and how it would be SO much EASIER without men. We had similar problems like not getting the guy we liked no matter how much we tried. We were also jealous of couples that were surrounding us. Just makes us feel depressed. Both of us also agreed that we doubt that we'll get married by 45. This may actually be true for me.



End of The Day

Warhol Souvenirs (Everything Else was TOO Expensive to Buy)

No comments: