Saturday 22 December 2007

Nightwish & Lacuna Coil

This is a rather old experience of mine but I thought that it should be recorded down, so here goes. As a huge fan of Evanescence, you do what all the fans do - Listen to their songs, view their videos and have a slideshow of them on your myspace (well maybe that's just me). However, the slideshow was premade by the others and it suddenly had a picture of Nightwish. Unfamiliar with it, I just ignored it. The slideshow incident was the second time I bumped into their photo. Apparently some people compare Evanescence with Nightwish though their styles of music is different.

For fun, I went to YouTube to investigate this band and the first song that popped up was Wish I Had An Angel. Wow. I was breath taken as it was everything I loved - a mix of classical and metal so it didn't have much of the grunting that normal takes place in metal music. The other song that was also displayed was Nemo which actually means "nobody" in Latin. Fascinating.

Their songs soon got stuck in my head and I knew that I had to have one of their cd's. So out to the plaza I go and looked real hard for it. A few shops I went to did not have it but determined as I am I went to Virgin Music and they have it! I bought Nightwish's Once immediately. As soon as I got home, the cd went straight into my cd player and the first song I played was Wish I Had An Angel.

Ignorant as I can get, I thought this was a new band until I Wikipedia it. Nope. They are even older than my beloved Evanescence. Nightwish was formed in 1996 whilst Evanescence was formed in 1998. Ok maybe not that much older but surprising I did not hear about them. Maybe KL doesn't really like the idea of metal in Malaysia. It's true - most of my music life in Malaysia consisted of what I heard on radios and they were like pop, R&B and etc. You just don't get enough metal! Even Evanescence the first time I heard them was shocking as I thought they were rather heavy. Now? Haha..not heavy enough. I live to seek a heavier but still symphonic band.



Not long after, I was criticised by a fuckwit for my support of Amy Lee being the best singer I've personally heard, I kept hearing news about Lacuna Coil and the same thing happened - Got hooked onto their song Heaven's A Lie.

Yeah I must admit they are pretty funky but since I viewed their concerts on YouTube, the lead singer, Cristina Scabbia doesn't sound too good live. Amy Lee still sounds the same on stage as her songs.

When I found Nightwish I was pretty excited until I realised through my "extensive" research that the lead singer, Tarja Turunen was fired. I was pretty upset as I thought it was the end of the band until they said that they found a new singer. I heard their new single Eva and it was pretty good. The new singer, Anette Olzon has a pretty high vocal range to make-up for the classical training that Tarja had. They proved to be pretty consistent so I was satisfied again. But then of course I enjoyed Tarja more as I enjoyed classical singing with metal. I particularly enjoyed this song called Sleeping Sun. This video I just posted was a remake and I find it equally as good as the old one which can be found here :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gmDWvGKLzBE


~Happy Watching~

No comments: