Monday 7 July 2008

Margaret River, Rottnest Island and Monkey Mia

My friend, Siiri, came all the way from Queensland to Perth for her holiday. Unfortunately, she’s here for only a week and college reopens next Tuesday! If you have a really, really good memory and have read my blog..OK...I admit..no one reads my blog that much anyways. She's a good friend and a travelling buddy on all of my Australian tours (5-day Sydney tour and Adelaide-Melbourne via The Great Ocean Road trips).
So we tried to cramp every possible tour into the limited time we have. We went into a friend’s travel agency (no discounts though, what a meanie!) and booked tours starting from the very next day. Our first trip was to Margaret River, Eagles Heritage, Mammoth Cave, Xanadu Winery and Cape Leeuwin (most Southern Tip in Western Australia and where the Pacific and Indian Ocean meet).

Me, tired from the lack of sleep in the morning.

Xanadu Winery Wines.

I bought the first bottle of semillon blanc on the left and the rose (the bottle in the middle)

Xanadu Winery


Eagles Heritage Park

Barking Owl

-Courtesy of Siiri's Camera

Me holding the Barking Owl

Barking Owl upside down..trying to fly away..
soo adorable. Don't worry, No animal was hurt in this process.

Cape Leeuwin..oooo look at the lighthouse!

Lighthouse

The next day we decided to go to Rottnest Island. First we stopped at The Merchant for some tea/breakfast and then off to the C-jetty to catch the ferry over to Rottnest. I must admit that I do have sea-sickness so being on a boat for 45 mins is rather painful trying to keep down the food.
Lil bit of camwhoring in The Merchant
Beautiful sceneries
The water is soo blue I can't believe my eyes!

Taking a break after a long and exhausting ride. I'm not fit OKAY??

Quokkas - A cute little marsupial that is very friendly! It let me pet it.. :D





Image and video hosting by TinyPic




This is a small map of Rottnest Island. I think we roughly rode about 20km. Pretty far for someone who's not fit at all.

After the long ride, we decided to take Thursday to shop and to a bit round Fremantle (Freo). Not to mention I spent around $150AUD on shopping! A pair of Jeanswest jeans --finally a blue pair-- a Rusty's, Jayjay's and a Billabong top. (Pictures later)
We had Fish & Chips for lunch in Fremantle BUT for all those of you who've been to Fremantle, we can clearly say that Freo's F&C's are not the best. After a disappointing lunch, we headed to Little Creatures brewery for some beer. I ordered a Pipsqueek. Cute name huh? Best thing about Perth, they don't really check your ID. I'm almost legal anyways. I love the place so much I might want to celebrate my 18th there. Most delicious sweet cider I've tasted. Presenting Pipsqueek!

Lovely atmosphere
Next stop. Monkey Mia 3D 2N tour. Dragging my heavy ass bag from Canning Vale to Perth was a pain but we've managed. And the 800km ride began. First day, we mostly sat in the bus, stopping for some scenic shots.

Some wild flowers to look at on the way back.

We arrived at Monkey Mia around 8pm where we were led to our rooms. Ours was pretty big despite the fact that we had to share the bathroom with the other couple. We went to the only restaurant there at Monkey Mia and it was terrible. The dish I ordered was too sweet. We had a big day the next day so we had our showers and bed time.

The next day, we woke up early and got ready. We had a nice breakfast and walked down to the beach to see the wild dolphins coming in for the feeding.

What are all these people congregating on the beach for?

To see them of course!

Catching a bit of morning sun

After that we checked out at 10am and back onto the bus. We headed to Shark Bay and had lunch in a tiny cottage made out of shells. Yes you've heard it right. Shells.Look what I've got for lunch! WA rock lobster/crayfish. Fresh. Succulent.

Are you drooling yet?


After lunch, we drove to Shell beach where the shells we harvested from. It was a maginificent sight as the beach was literally made out of shells. No sandy beaches alright. Just course shell bits.

The best skinny picture of me. Bloody focus!!

Next stop was to see the stromatolites. What can I say? One-word: WOW

Oldest living thingy..I still don't quite grasp the stromatolite concept.

And then we drove.......

And we drove...

And drove..

And we reached the next stop and headed to the Black Rock cafe for dinner. On the tour we met 2 local chicks, Lauren and Amanda, who are travel agents doing this tour for free. FOR FREEE!!! Hahah but they'll have to advertise it to a customer to make up for it. Siiri brought her bottle of rum to finish off and bought a bottle of coke to mix it up with. The two girls bought champagne. Rum, coke, cigarettes and champagne. It was definately a girl's night in. We also had 3 types of ciggies that night -- Kent, Marlboro and Winfield. The girl's decided to head back to their room and we had some left over champagne. Let me tell you that champagne goes straight to the head after rounds and rounds of Rum&Coke. It's like the cream on the cake.

Gah. Had to wake up so early to have my shower. One thing that I hate and going to put it on my hate list is: PEOPLE RUSHING ME. Siiri has this lil habit of telling me how much we have left. I'm not blind and I CAN see that we've got a few mins left. What's even more, I'm not a morning person. Grr.. I left my favourite clip in that room because of that. I'd definately prefer to travel alone if someone's going to rush me the whole trip. Being 5 mins doesn't hurt. Especially when you have to get up and had too much to drink the night before.

Next..We drove all the way to the pinnacles. For me, it was my second time if you've been reading. But it's certainly a sunnier day and great for photos.

Hmm.. I wonder what this reminds you of ;P

Group photo


"..and they can be found.. Jumping for joy.."
-Courtesy of Siiri's camera

5 comments:

Li ying said...

hey. omg..i wanna go to those places.
how much does the trip cost??
Remember to tell me when ur going back. =D
Who is ur MCI 101 teacher? not felicity?

Li ying said...

hAHA.
Ya, MAS is direct flight. 5 hours.
the trips are ex but worth it.
cuz like u juz go there once in a life time. u wont go back d.

Michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Wow...some beautiful places...I'm so jealous, seeing as I'm stuck in wet n' miserable UK. :P

Dennise said...

What a great view. It is one of my favorite view in Monkey Mia.




Monkey mia tour