Friday 29 February 2008

Orientation in CIC

First day at Curtin International College, boy, was I frightened. Nancy, my host parent was suppose to take me to college but she was too lazy I guess. Dai, one of my room mates had to show us which bus to take. Me and another Chinese boy from Fuzhou, Leo.

Arriving at the uni's bus stop, my first impression of the uni - small. But oh! To my surprise it was huge!!! It was literally a maze, each pathway intersecting and leads you to another the other end of the school.

Nevertheless, Dai was there to guide us through. Heaps and heaps of students already congregated infront of building 205 -Curtin Int. College.
We had to seperate into 2 groups. 1 for Commerce students and 1 for Design, Mass Communication and IT students. I wondered why there was only 2 groups with such huge numbers. When the Commerce students started lining up it showed that there were heaps and heaps of people doing that course. Gees...who would have thought?

Guess what? Mass Communications students - 6. Yes..6 of us! All girls too! I made a new mate quite quickly. Rebecca - Scottish girl but citizen of Australia. You still could hear her Scottish accent quite faintly.

Anyways, each group had a mentor to show you around the campus. It was huge and it was hot. It was like 39 degrees and I'm not kidding here. It's hot and I mean hot hot hot!
Once you're in a college next to a uni, you'll never look back and say I miss high school. Why?
Everything is in the university grounds. To name a few, they have a bank, ATM machines, optometrist, pharmacy, travel agency, cafes, book shop and etc..And of course no uniform..(like duh..)

To my surprise, my mentor, Khalisah is Malaysian..Woo? Malaysia Boleh? haha well of course we conversed in English, I mean it's rude to go off in your own language and leave the others out of the conversation.

After a tour of the campus, we were dragged to the computer labs and there we had to enroll what units we wanted. My college has a system of either 4&4 or 3,3&2. 4&4 meant that you would finish in October, leaving you 5 months of spare time. However, you cannot remain in Australia for more than 2 months if you're not studying, meaning you have to go back home and re-enter. I decided to do the 3,3&2, which would finish in mid-January. It's easier, since I will only do 3 units in the first two semester and 2 units in the third. Hmm...

And oo..I love choosing what units I want cause then I will know what days I will have to come for my class. Since it's 3 units = 3 days! hehe I get Monday and Thursday off, only having classes on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. Woo!! I think I will enjoy this. I also might apply for a working visa which will allow me to work.


Diploma of Mass Communications 2008 (missing Rebecca..she took this pic)



Rebecca and Khalisah

1 comment:

F.R.E.D.Y said...

I tot curtin is small!But after u described it, i was amaze! hehe.. hey go hv dim sum at Northbridge! damn nice!!