Thursday 19 July 2007

Friends

I admit that friends are important and that special bond you have with them is strong. But choosing the right friends is the hardest thing. You meet all sorts of people and yet they may not be necessarily your friend. They claim to know you but run at the first sign of help proves that they are not really your friends. I have come across some back in Malaysia that I claim to be my "best" friends, but are they really? I have spent more than $100 to call them when I have credit to spare and yet in return do they send an email wondering how am I? No.


MASQ= Mesha, Alicia, Segri, Lei 'Quan'
Left to Right: Alicia, Mesha, Segri, Lei Quan aka Michelle


In Australia, it's hard to make friends, well, I have trouble making friends. They seem so naive about the world. Especially to a city-bred girl, its hard to talk about brands, fashion and other things about other countries, when they haven't left their own (Not that I'm stuck up, but it's true, it's harder to talk to those that haven't experienced what you've been through and when you start talking about it, they think you are up yourself.) So that was how I spent my first year in Australia, trying to fit in and comprehend. After a while you tend to give up and seek somewhere else where you belong. That is exactly what I did.



Katharina at the Yr. 11 formal in 2006. Ain't she pretty?

I planned to get along with the other internationals that came to our school for a brief period, some not longer than 6 months. Mostly there were Germans, which were so hard to get into mix as they came in large numbers and spoke German. However, in July 2006, I met this beautiful German girl, Katharina. She was soft spoken, gentle, caring and loved by all that knew her. (Especially all the guys who knew her!) She spent well over a year here in Australia but she had to go back to Berlin, Germany.




Katharina & Me....good times together!


The next friend I've encountered is an Estonian. Her name is Siiri and she's from Talinn. Tall, athletic girl (playing tennis all the time), she is also very friendly. So far, we have been travelling buddies, going to Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne with me. She's a true friend as I would put it for she has helped me through tight spots before. She's also wacky and crazy and that is what we all like about her and you can't get past her without noticing her bright blond hair! I met her through Katharina at Mooloolaba beach, the same place where I met Katharina almost a year ago. Maybe it is a lucky spot to meet life-long friends!



Me & Siiri at Glen Elg, Adelaide

No comments: